Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Irony
posted by Ben

In reference to the post below this one, note that my final sentence uses a literary tool that I like to call contextual sarcasm, by which I reveal that my personal opinion is actually that not all Republicans are totally evil. I know some very nice Republicans who actively work to make the world a better, safer place, who genuinely care about people, and who are incredibly trustworthy and ethical. Unfortunately, they've been pretty much shunned by the Republicans who are actually in power on the national level, but I guess you can't win them all.

For instance, Sam Reed, Washington State Secretary of State, is a generally moral man. I don't agree with his stand on electronic voting machines, but he actually respects the law. Unfortunately, that stroke of ethics has Republicans in the state now calling for his head, because he dared to ratify a gubernatorial recount that followed state law by the books. "Just break the law, Sam," they say. "You can get away with it. We have your back." Maybe he should join the Democrats. While he may not agree with them ideologically, at least they won't object when he ethically commits the duties of his office.